Syracuse China has been in business since 1841. On April 9, 2009 after 138 years of production, the Syracuse China factory was shut down by Libbey, Inc. of Toledo Ohio. All production of Syracuse China moved from North America. (Wikipedia) If you want to read the history of Syracuse China you can go here.
I have spent many hours at the Syracuse China Factory Outlet Store searching among the bins and racks of dishes that were "seconds" trying to find a dish or a cup that matched the ones I have. I have eaten on Syracuse China dishes since I was a child. I remember eating chicken soup that my grandmother made in Syracuse China bowls. I am also an unofficial member of the "Turner-Over Club". Whenever I go into a restaurant and see dishes that resemble Syracuse China I have to turn them over to see if they are. On a trip to Cape Cod my husband and I stopped in a little diner to have breakfast. I said to him these look like Syracuse China dishes, I turned them over and they were.
It is sad that I won't be able to spend time digging through those bins hunting for that one dish that matches my collection.
Syracuse's Ambassador to the World of Gracious Dining

The outlet store
The bins to rummage through.
The racks of dishes to look for a treasure.
Hi Judy,
ReplyDeleteJust found your blog thru Homespun Living (I'm also a fellow NY'er). Your post about Syracuse China closing it's doors caught my eye. I own a set of their china, it's my absolute favorite and I use it everyday. How sad that they've closed their doors for good. Thanks for sharing that post. Go Yankees!
Rosie
It bothers me a lot when a big company such as Libby buys a company that has been in business for so long, runs it for a few years and then shuts the whole place down. It hurts the employees who have worked there so long and the community who has grown to love the product that is being made. Thanks for stopping by and please visit again.
ReplyDelete