Sunday, February 01, 2009

superbowl sunday

Superbowl Sunday is always Chili day at my house. While my husband is out ice fishing looking for the big catch I stay home and make a big batch of chili. Tonight we'll watch the big game. Hope it's a good one. Let's go Steelers!!

Chili














I got this recipe from a former neighbor. It's easy to make with only a few ingredients. I cook the chili in a crockpot. You could also cook it in a pot on the stove - whichever you prefer. I cook the ground beef and the sausage in a pan, then transfer to a crockpot and add the rest of the ingredients. I don't like kidney beans so I substitute a can of black beans. Cook until it is done. I serve the chili with cornbread and sprinkle some cheese on top.

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground sausage
2 peppers , chopped
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 tsp. cumin
1/3 cup chili powder
1can of crushed tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 can kidney beans
Water - I add between 2 1/2 cups to 3 cups

Cook until done.


Cornbread














1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 egg whites or 1 egg, beaten

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 8 or 9-inch pan. Combine dry ingredients. Stir in milk, oil, and egg, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and wooden stick inserted in center comes out clean.


Cowboy Cookies














This recipe is from the Martha Stewart show - they are very good, with chocolate chunks, pecans, and coconut. You can find the recipe at Martha Stewart's web site

These will taste good after the chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment