Sunday, January 18, 2009

blueberries


























Every summer a friend and I go blueberry picking. We go to a local blueberry farm and spend a few hours filling up our buckets with this wonderful fruit. My friend uses his blueberries to make pies. I am not a good pie maker. Making pies I believe is an art form. You have to have the knack for it. I do not. I bring the blueberries home and freeze them to use all winter. I like to take some frozen berries and eat them with my cereal or in yogurt for breakfast. I also make blueberry muffins or pancakes. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and it has become my favorite. It has a small amount of sugar and the oatmeal gives it a crunchy texture. Sometimes I use this recipe without the blueberries and add walnuts and cranberries.

Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins

1 1/4 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup blueberries, rinsed and drained

Combine oats, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix in milk, egg, and oil; mix until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in blueberries. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake at 425 dregrees F (220 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, blueberry muffins sound wonderful. When I lived in Vermont I used to pick bags and bags of blueberries to freeze and use all winter long. It's so nice to enjoy the tastes of summer in the winter.

    ReplyDelete