Wednesday, January 07, 2009

comfort food













Woke up this morning to a few inches of snow covered with a layer of ice. I had to chip away all of that before I drove to work. On the way I got held up by an accident on Route 81. Drove home in the rain. So, again I turned to food. Macaroni and Cheese and green salad for dinner. My daughter was visiting from Tennessee at Christmas time and her one request from me was that I make macaroni and cheese. No problem.

I will share my recipe for Mac & Cheese. Cook 2 cups of macaroni according to directions on box. Drain. Set aside. In the same pan make a white sauce. Melt 4 tbsp. of butter, stir in 4 tbsp. of flour to make a paste, 1/2 tsp. salt and some pepper. Add 2 cups of milk, cook at medium high heat, keep stirring (or milk will burn) until the milk becomes thick. Add as much cheddar cheese as you want ( I cut the cheese into cubes or you can shred it), stir until the cheese melts. I use Cabot's Hunter's Sharp Cheddar Cheese. Spray a baking dish with cooking oil spray. Put the macaroni into the baking dish and stir in the cheese sauce. I like a crunchy crust on my mac & cheese so I sprinkle plain bread crumbs on top. Bake in a 350 degree oven until the top is browned to the color you like, about 1/2 hour. Get a big spoon, put some on your plate and enjoy every bite.



No comments:

Post a Comment